If your doctor has requested that you have some tests they will make a plan with you about what to do next. If you have not been given a plan please ask for one to help you manage your problem effectively.
Please remember reception staff are unable to discuss results with you as they are not medically qualified.
Frequently asked questions regarding tests
When will my results come back?
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
|TEST||Time for Result|
|Chest x-ray||10 days|
|Ultrasound scan||10 days|
|Helicobacter breath test||1 week|
|Urine sample||1 week|
|Sputum sample||1 week|
|Stool sample||1 week|
|Skin scraping||Up to 3 months|
|Nail clippings||Up to 3 months|
|Vaginal swab test||Up to 2 week|
|Smear test||Up to 2 weeks|
|24-hour Blood Pressure monitor||3 days|
|Home Blood pressure||3 days|
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or equivocal – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests so has asked you to come in for more test.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the Doctor will speak or request to see you directly.